You may not plan on selling your home in the near future, but it’s always important to keep the future sale price in mind when you’re making upgrades to your home. You want to make your home more comfortable and enjoyable for your family, but it is important, unless you have unlimited funds, to make improvements that will give you some return on your investment.
Keep in mind that home improvement projects don’t always require hefty price tags. Let’s explore some options. While some of these might have to wait until spring (make a list!) many can be done during the winter.
Home services contractors work year-round and it’s the perfect time to do interior work.
- Garage door replacement. Admittedly, this isn’t the most exciting project on the list, but it can add a lot of curb appeal and offers a return on investment of 94%.
- Replace siding. Replacing old siding with new, fiber cement siding like James Hardy siding can not only increase curb appeal, you’ll recoup 78% of your investment when you sell your home. New siding also increases energy efficiency, and is practically maintenance free. You can choose to use vinyl siding instead, which gives you a 74.7% return on your money.
- Minor kitchen remodel. Making rather minor changes, like replacing the range and fridge and changing the cabinet fronts and counters, plus a new mid-priced sink and faucet pays you back 77.6%.
- Add a deck. Not only will a deck make a fun place to gather with family and friends, you’ll get a 66.8% return on your investment on a deck made from composite material, and a 72.1% return using wood.
- Upgrade flooring. If the carpet in your living room is looking old and worn, remove it and install some hardwood flooring.
- Add outdoor lighting. Outdoor lighting adds ambiance, and can also serve as a safety feature. When you install that new deck, think about adding some attractive fixtures outside your house or even have your deck wired and add some attractive outdoor floor lamps.
- Remodel your basement. If your basement isn’t finished, think about doing so, because it adds square footage to your home that will increase a selling price, as well as living space for your family now. If you already have a finished basement, think about adding a bar or even creating a new room for a media center.
- Replace your windows. Window replacement adds curb appeal and increases energy efficiency. In fact, if you live in a cold climate you’ll likely recoup every penny you spend when you sell your house, not to mention the energy savings you’ll get while living in it.
- Add a fresh coat of paint. Give a room or rooms a quick and inexpensive makeover with a new color!
- Paint your front door black. This might be the oddest-sounding thing on this list, but Zillow’s 2018 Paint Color Analysis discovered that homes with black or charcoal gray front doors sell for $6,271 more than expected, and no other combination of paint color and area of the home increased home sale prices more.
Most of the items on this list are reasonably priced, practical improvements that will create a more pleasurable home now and pay off handsomely later.
Dependable Home Services: For All Your Home Remodeling Needs
We will design and build you a home that expresses your individuality and style preferences. And our experience and resources provide you with the best quality craftsmanship. From remodeling your kitchen to remaking your basement, we will give your home a wonderful new look and feel at a reasonable price.
At Dependable Home Services, our customers are like family to us, so you always get our best.
- A Clear and Honest Evaluation
Your home is your largest investment and not something you want to gamble with. We make sure you understand everything before, during, and after the job.
- Work is Managed by the Owner
Whether fixing other contractor’s errors, repairing cracks in your foundation, installing new siding or other home improvement service, we start every project right and make sure it’s done right, no matter what. Our owner manages every project from start to finish.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
We work with precision and uncompromising attention to detail, and do our best to make your project an enjoyable experience.
Our price, craftsmanship and serious attention detail means that our customers return to us again and again with new projects. Contact us today for a free consultation and no-obligation quote. We also offer discounts for senior citizens and military members.