James Hardie® Siding is built durably to last. It retains its attractive look year after year despite severe weather elements and extreme temperatures. And part of the beauty of this great looking, strong siding is the simplicity of its upkeep.
Maintaining siding doesn’t have to be difficult
Every 6-12 months, simply bring out your hose and clean your siding. Skip the temptation to power wash your siding with a potentially damaging high-pressure spray. A regular, low-pressure garden hose and nonmetal soft medium bristle brush will remove dirt and grime from your siding and trim. Here are some tips to help you best remove any dirt, grease, or even occasional mold or mildew from your siding.
How to remove dust and dirt from your siding
When the wind whisks dirt that fastens itself onto your beautiful siding, and the siding’s dusty look accumulates, simply gather the following:
- A soft cloth
- A soft brush such as an All Paint poly brush
- A horsehair bench brush
- A garden hose
Tip: Avoid damaging your siding’s finish by using a hard metal brush or abrasive sponge during siding cleaning. Instead, choose the gentleness of a soft brush and you’ll get the job done without damaging your beautiful siding. Protect your siding investment and product warranty by following the specific guidelines outlined by James Hardie.
The best cleaning techniques for dust and dirt:
- Simply brush the dust and dirt off your siding while it is dry, then rinse it with a regular garden hose.
- If you prefer to use a soft cloth, wet it and wipe it carefully, stroking in the same direction as the siding plank or panel. Next, simply rinse the area until it sparkles again.
- Remember to clean a small portion of your siding at a time, beginning at the top and working your way to the bottom.
How to remove oil and grease from your siding
If greasy hands left their mark on your siding, remove the temporary blemish by gathering the following:
- Mild liquid dishwashing soap
- Water from your garden hose
- A soft cloth for gentle cleaning
- A bucket in which to mix the water and soap
The best siding cleaning technique to remove oil or grease:
- Fill your bucket with water, add dishwashing soap, and with your soft cloth, clean the discolored siding.
- Rinse your soft cloth regularly so you don’t redistribute the grease to other locations on the siding.
- Work in a small section at a time from top to bottom and keep the area you are working on wet while cleaning. Never let the soapy water dry on your siding.
- Rinse the area well so no soap is left on your siding.
How to remove mold or mildew from your siding
When you inspect your siding before cleaning it, discern what it is you are cleaning off your siding in order to choose the best plan of action to remove that substance. If you detect mold or mildew, gather the following:
- Soft cloth
- Garden hose
- Mildew specific cleaner
The best techniques to remove mold and mildew from your siding:
- If you are cleaning mildew off your siding, carefully follow the mildew cleaner’s instructions.
- Caution is necessary when using a mildew cleaner in order to protect your siding properly.
- Rinse the siding well after cleaning off mold or mildew.
- Work from top to bottom.
Siding maintenance made simple
Maintaining siding like James Hardie Fiber Cement Siding is simple. Its unique ColorPlus technology resists fading, so there’s no need to repaint. And cleaning it one or two times a year is simple.
The value of durable siding
When homeowners choose James Hardie Siding products, they get long-lasting value from their wise investment. James Hardie Siding is not only resistant to flames and damaging heat, but also resistant to the effects of harsh weather elements such as hail, excessive rain, droughts, snow, and ice storms. This durable siding resists:
- Moisture damage and rotting
- Unattractive warping
- Insects and pests
Home improvement made simple
Looking for a wise home improvement investment? The experienced James Hardie Siding installation specialists at Dependable Home Services are here to help. Avoid the frustration that can sometimes accompany home improvement, and entrust your siding installation process to the experts at Dependable Home Services. Get time-tested James Hardie Siding at an affordable price installed by detail oriented professionals, so you can enjoy your home’s timeless beauty again.