When it’s time to decide whether to build a backyard deck or a patio on your Richmond, Virginia home, take a look at the perks of both and choose the best option for the lifestyle you’re looking for.
The Benefits of a Backyard Deck
Decks are versatile additions to your backyard. A deck is an open outdoor platform without a roof that extends from your home. Decks are framed with a railing, and provide exceptional space to enjoy outdoor views while entertaining. They are customizable to meet your needs and provide the ideal space for you, your family and friends to enjoy. They can be constructed near the ground, off the lowest floor of your home, or even added to an upper level of your home.
Decks are a greater initial investment than patios, but they offer a higher percentage rate of return on investment, making them well worth their price tag. They don’t need specific terrain to build them, making them ideal for sloped or uneven yards. They are made of materials such as:
- Wood—The most traditional decking material, but keep in mind it needs regular maintenance to protect your investment and prevent wood rot.
- Composite—Today’s homeowners enjoy the benefits of using composite materials for decking because they get the appearance of wood without the needed maintenance wood requires. Simply clean the composite material regularly, and your deck will look and function beautifully for years to come. Composites use little wood and don’t need harmful chemical treatments to maintain them.
Decks offer homeowners the opportunity to create the ideal space for outdoor enjoyment. Features include items such as:
- Built-in barbecue grilling area
- Beautiful railing surrounding the deck
- Deck supports to accommodate uneven backyard terrain
- Customized paint or stain to complement your home exterior
- Ground level decks—This popular deck style is located only a few feet above the ground, or close to the ground, and is located adjacent to your home.
- Floating deck—If the ideal deck placement on your property isn’t adjacent to your home, consider building a floating deck. A floating deck doesn’t attach to your home, and offers great entertainment opportunities at the optimal backyard location.
Why homeowners choose to add a deck
- To design a space to relax and enjoy the outdoors
- To make the best use of their sloped yard
- To create an outdoor entertaining space
- To create a place to enjoy the sun that’s comfortable even in the heat
- To enjoy a spectacular view
Cons of an outdoor deck
- Decks require more maintenance than patios. Their material will dictate what needs to be done to keep them beautiful and in good working order. Traditional wood decks need to be washed, re-stained and re-sealed regularly.
- If wooden decks are not maintained properly, they can rot. If moisture penetrates the deck material, wood rot can set in and damage it.
- Permits may be required. Check with your city to determine if you need a permit before building a deck.
- If adding a hot tub or outdoor kitchen, weight restrictions should be considered. Before you build, factor in the weight of a hot tub or outdoor kitchen if you plan to add them to your deck because there can be weight restrictions on a deck.
The Simplicity of a Backyard Patio
A patio is an outdoor paved area located on the ground. It is often attached to a home and located just outside the back door, but patios also have the ability to be poured in a separate part of a backyard—detached from your home. And they don’t have a rail surrounding them (like decks do).
Patios may or may not be covered; they are less costly than decks, offering homeowners a practical option to add value to their home. There’s no need for a building permit or inspections, making a patio easy to install with fewer steps involved. Depending on the look you desire, patios are typically made of one of the following:
- Concrete—This is the most popular patio material, and offers homeowners great value.
- Stone—For a high-end look, and a greater investment than concrete or brick, this durable option gives your backyard a sense of style you’ll enjoy while entertaining.
- Brick Pavers—This aesthetically pleasing and long-lasting option gives homeowners a beautiful space to enjoy for years to come.
- Gravel—An affordable patio option with easy installation.
Patios come in any size you desire. Many of today’s patios feature inviting perks such as:
- Fire pit
- Built-in barbeque
- Sitting area
- Table and chairs for meals
Why homeowners choose to add a backyard patio
- To enjoy an easy-to-maintain backyard patio space (there’s no need to stain or paint a patio)
- To appreciate a durable investment that gives them enjoyment for years to come
- To take advantage of a budget-friendly way to add to their backyard’s function
- To make the best use of level ground in their backyard
- To create an enjoyable space and increase their home’s resale value
Cons of a backyard patio
- They are more expensive to install if your yard is sloped. Creating a level foundation can add significant cost to a patio installation.
- They can crack if the soil under them was not properly prepared. When the outdoor temperatures are extreme, if a patio’s soil was not properly prepared before it was poured, the patio can crack.
- They can be hard to clean if they absorb stains. Things like wet leaves or food can be difficult to clean from a patio’s surface.
- They need ample preparation before installation. You must grade the land appropriately before installation.
At Dependable Home Services, we’ve helped hundreds of homeowners transform their home into a place they can enjoy. We serve Richmond, Virginia area homeowners with excellence.
Increase your home’s value with a new deck or patio, and make the most of your home’s outdoor space. Contact Dependable Home Services for a free consultation.