Your Richmond home faces lots of weather elements throughout the year, so it’s vital to protect and fortify it with quality siding that will shield it from the elements, preserving its beauty for years to come. Structurally, siding is a vital part of the wall assembly of your home. Aesthetically, it’s the first thing you see from the curb—so it affects your home’s appearance and resale value.
When it’s time to invest in new siding, there are three vital areas to consider in your search: durability, aesthetics, and overall price.
Homeowners value high-quality siding that will last for years to come. Durability is a vital factor when making siding choices. Nobody wants to have to replace their siding every few years, so choosing a strong siding material is fundamental for its longevity. Richmond, Virginia weather elements impact your home’s exterior year-round, so it’s wise to bolster your home with durable siding.
While some siding choices are expected to last 50 years and benefit resale value, others work best on rental properties and for first-time home buyers. When choosing a siding option for your home, consider the track record of the materials you are choosing. Various materials are built to last based on their makeup and overall strength.
It also helps to educate yourself on the maintenance needed for the siding material you choose. Taking good care of your siding extends its endurance.
- Vinyl Siding—This weather and insect-resistant option has low maintenance needs. Its color is baked into it, so there is no need to paint it. It isn’t susceptible to rotting like moisture-penetrated wood. Vinyl siding helps decrease the infiltration of external noises, promoting a quiet home atmosphere for you to enjoy. The cons to vinyl siding’s durability are the fact that it can dent due to extreme weather, or an unexpected impact. Vinyl can crack in the cold weather if it is obstructed.
- Wood Siding—Wood siding looks beautiful on historic homes and maintains their unique architectural style well. It does, however, come with a high price tag when it comes to maintaining it over the years. It needs to be repainted regularly. Moisture can cause it to rot, warp, or expand.
- Fiber Cement Siding—There is a reason millions of homeowners in America embrace fiber cement siding as their go-to siding when it’s time to reside their home. It is strong, durable, and boasts a warranty that lasts over 50 years! It requires very low maintenance (rinsing with a simple garden hose once or twice a year) and resists chipping, peeling and cracking. It doesn’t expand and contract with Richmond, Virginia’s humidity and temperature changes throughout the year. It is noncombustible, resists pest infestation, and prevents moisture penetration.
Siding is a dominating feature of your home exterior and dramatically influences its overall look and curb appeal. Look for a siding with the texture that complements your home exterior and expresses your sense of style. Choose a color that enhances your home’s look and welcomes you from your busy days. The aesthetic appeal of your home not only impacts you daily, but also impacts your home’s resale value. Here are the various siding materials available to gain the greatest aesthetics:
- Vinyl Siding—There are a multitude of colors from which to choose when you purchase vinyl siding for your home exterior. Horizontal and vertical style options are available to match your style preferences. Vinyl siding is not as aesthetically pleasing as fiber cement siding, as its standard panel ends overlap and create noticeable seams. But the affordability of vinyl siding is often the drawing point.
- Wood Siding—Wood is one of the oldest materials used for siding. It has a beautiful classic look to it and works fabulously on historic homes. Wood siding comes in horizontal or vertical options with a variety of groove patterns.
- Fiber Cement Siding—The classy look of fiber cement siding can actually mimic the look of wood siding, shingles, stucco, and masonry. It has deeper grooves than vinyl, giving it a genuine wood-grain look to it. It is extremely customizable and caters to a variety of style preferences. It has trim available to give a nice finished look to your home exterior.
When choosing your new siding, consider the initial investment as well as the long-term investment such as how long the siding is expected to last before it needs to be replaced. The contractor you choose, the size of your home, and materials you choose influence the overall price of your new siding.
- Vinyl Siding—Vinyl has a modest price point and often works well for first-time home buyers and those who own rental properties. It’s a budget-friendly way to boost your home’s beauty.
- Wood Siding—Wood is priced moderately to high, but homeowners enjoy its authentic look on their historic homes.
- Fiber Cement Siding—Fiber cement siding has either a moderate or high initial cost, but it is so durable and maintains its look so well, you don’t have to replace it for decades!
Is Your Current Siding in Need of Replacement?
Old and deteriorating siding means your home’s exterior lacks the proper defense against weather such as storms, rain, hail, ice, and wind. You shouldn’t have to worry about your home exterior’s ability to properly protect and seal it, so perhaps it’s time to consider a siding facelift.
Siding does more than protect your home. It also brings beauty to your home’s exterior, enhancing curb appeal. Refresh your home exterior’s look with new siding and enjoy its beauty again.
Beautify Your Home with New Siding
James Hardie Siding is the number one brand of fiber cement siding on the market and offers the best warranty in the industry. When you’re choosing siding, contact the professionals at Dependable Home Services. We’re a preferred contractor with James Hardie, so our installations are top-of-the-line.
When you’re ready to explore the best siding solutions for your needs, contact Dependable Home Services for a free consultation.